Monday, January 21, 2013

The whole time I wished I was back at NPH...

Below is a story from wonderful Friend and sponsor, Tatum Zeitchick.

My name is Tatum and I’m 15 years old. I have a Godson at NPH Nicaragua named Alex. He is 9 years old and very loving. My best friend the summer of 2012 asked me to tag along with her to Nicaragua. In my head I was thinking "Tanning, Beaches, And Boys!" Soon I found out that we were going to be staying at an orphanage, which I was thrilled about, but also a little nervous because I do not speak Spanish!

In the first hour we arrived I met Alex. He was on my friend Kent's back and had stolen his baseball hat. He was saying he was some famous Nicaraguan baseball player. I started to make conversation with him. Through my friend, of course, who knew Spanish. I connected with him right away and we never left each other’s side the whole time I was there. The departure was devastating. I had tears in my eyes as I hugged him goodbye not knowing if I would ever see him again. He looked at me and said in English when will you come back? I told him I hope soon.

I then got to enjoy the sunny beaches at San Juan Del Sur, but the whole time I wished I was back at NPH. The second I walked in the door of my home after I returned to Minnesota, I asked my mom to take me to the Friends of the Orphans office. I walked in and asked to sponsor Alex. They gave me a picture and info on him, and I was so happy that I would be able to write to him! I went home and wrote probably three letters and sent them that day.

The month after I left NPH, it crossed my mind that I wanted to go back!! I started searching for flights and talked to the visitor coordinator on Facebook about dates that I could come back. I talked to my mom about it and asked if she would want to come down with me. I planned the whole trip and paid for both tickets because money was tight. After three long plane rides I was finally in Managua, Nicaragua. Just an hour away from seeing Alex and all the wonderful kids!

I finally got to NPH and ran to Alex’s house. I walked in and a child named Roberto recognized me right away and gave me a huge hug. The other kids then went yelling for Alex. Alex didn't know I was coming back to visit at this time. The look on his face was priceless and amazing. He kind of just stood there not really processing it that I was really there. After he did, he ran up to me and jumped in my arms. He then took me to his room and lifted up his mattress and pulled out all the letters and pictures I sent him. We then walked around the orphanage and all I could hear was "Tatiana!!" (my Spanish name). I will never forget that day. I stayed at NPH for five days, then it was time to go home. As of now, a month later, I am planning my next trip in June and cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.