As we embark on a brand new year, it feels vitally important to reflect on all we have overcome in the past year. 2020 was a year of unprecedented challenges, but thanks to the support of our incredible staff, board members, volunteers, sponsors, and donors, we still managed to help thousands of children in need throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. It is only through your dedication, generosity, and deep compassion that we were and remain able to continue our critical mission of raising children, transforming lives, and supporting families. So, let's take a moment to remember some of the highlights from the past year.
- Though trips to visit the NPH homes were quickly cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPH USA decided to bring the homes to their supporters in another way. Amidst the global health crisis, families have found strength inside their homes. The NPH family is no different. The “NPH Open Home Series” was born and inspired by the open house theme; a popular event in the United States that is a friendly, casual time when people are invited to come into your home. Home evokes the image of Family – a core NPH principle. The live video series was an invitation for supporters, old and new, to come into the NPH world in more ways than one. To view episodes from the NPH Open Home Series this year, visit www.nphusa.org/openhome/.
- Change the World. Start with the Children., a new book detailing the life of Father William Wasson, his philosophy, and how he changed the world was published in April 2020! It includes words from Father Wasson himself, his four principles of successfully raising compassionate children, stories about those who were directly impacted by his unconditional love and support, and excerpts from the his original manuscript written in 1976. The book showcases his philosophies for raising the children in his NPH, and ALL proceeds from book sales were/will be donated to NPH USA! Learn more here.
- You know what they say, the music never stops! Even when times are difficult and stress levels are high, the NPH family finds a way to come together. Last June and July, NPH USA hosted a 14 day, virtual concert from their home to yours! The online event, called Summer Sounds for the Pequeños benefit the NPH mission as much as it did the ears of its’ viewers. Over 20 musical talents submitted original songs on behalf of raising support for the NPH mission. Musical performances included pequeños, hermanos mayors, and NPH USA supporters.
- Following the retirement of Chief Executive Officer Frank Donaghue, the board of NPH USA interviewed a very strong pool of candidates, ultimately approving the selection of John Deinhart as our new President and Chief Executive Officer! John Deinhart is no stranger to NPH. He has been a friend and supporter of our organization since 2007. John has served on our National Board of Directors and is currently serving as Board President for the Father Wasson Legacy Endowment, and also is a member of the Midwest Region Board of Directors. He has generously supported our programs as a child sponsor and University Scholarship Sponsor. John’s commitment to our mission, deep knowledge of NPH, strong results and experience in leading teams and fundraising made him a perfect choice to lead our organization forward. You can learn more about John here!
- Typically, each fall, NPH USA hosts events across the United States to raise funds for the homes, health services and educational programs of Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos. This year though, due to safety concerns surrounding COVID-19, we moved our events online and hosted a the first-ever single national virtual gala on October 17! “While we had concerns about moving from our traditional in-person events, our supporters stepped up to the plate and made an amazing difference tonight. They participated in remarkable numbers and gave enthusiastically.” stated John Deinhart, President and CEO of NPH USA. More than 1,100 people registered for the event, which was broadcast on the Auction Harmony platform, and we raised nearly $1.2 million was raised that very evening, including over $120,000 from an online auction!