1. In June, we graduated the entire eighth grade class at our home! These fifteen students proudly wore their caps and gowns and celebrated their educational accomplishments with the entire NPH Dominican Republic family. This is our fourth year in a row with 100% of the eight graders passing their national exams. We could not be more pleased with our students and their hard work. In addition to this accomplishment, we now offer 9th and 10th grade at our on-site NPH School. In the upcoming years we hope to offer all grades at our school.
2. In July we celebrated the first high school graduation of two of our female students. Mireya and Débora graduated with their peers from their nearby high school in San Pedro de Macoris and afterwards celebrated with their friends and family from NPH. They are both now in their year of service. Mireya is working as Activities Coordinator, and Débora has taken on several roles in the NPH School. Both young ladies have big plans for university, and we plan on supporting them as much as we can so they achieve their goals.
3. In February we hosted the NPH International Family Weekend for the first time. Event Coordinator and longtime NPH supporter, Katherine Harig, organized an incredible week for sponsors, staff and supporters from all of the NPH homes and offices. Our visitors experienced the culture of the Dominican Republic, the home and most importantly, got to meet and spend time with our children.
4. In late January we completed the construction of our new multipurpose center. We now use this building frequently for family dinners, performances, and celebrations, or on a rainy day when we need a space for activities.
5. Thanks to the support of donors like you, we are proud to say each house in our home now enjoys a mini-library stocked with over a hundred books in each and aimed at the age and gender of each house. The children really enjoy reading, and now with their new mini-libraries, they are able to find the joy of reading on their own terms.